Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

This movie was really good. I was going to say incredible, but then I second guessed myself and decided it wasn't THAT good and I should reserve "incredible" for the movies that really blow my mind. :) But if I wasn't reserving the word, I would say this movie was incredible. lol

I am admittedly biased because I love Greek Mythology. And I loved both the old and the new Clash of the Titans. In fact, I think it is safe to say that this movie paralleled the traditional Clash of the Titans storyline, but with a modernized appeal.

Perhaps that was the inspiration and goal of the book's author. This is another one of those movies that makes me inclined to read the book. I believe the first of which was Harry Potter. I think I may even have heard that the book is better than the movie, which I suppose is not all of that surprising as that is usually the case.

The special effects in the movie were fantastic, especially the ending battle. Again fantastic may be too strong of a word and one that is best reserved for something more spectacular. . but then I can just use the world spectacular for those other movies, right? lol

Anyway, the story is great. I love the unique perspective on the old stories. This of course is more credit to the author than the movie. However I used to work at Border's Bookstore and while the books looked interesting and I was told numerous times by many customers that the books were really good, it took the movie to make me confirm that I want to read it. So that is most definitely a credit to the movie. :)

This movie falls into the categories of "I hope there is a sequel." and "Would enjoy a DVD copy, but if there are sequels then I'll wait for the box set." :)

Aeslabelle's Grade: A

2 comments:

  1. The series in book form is good. I think it gets better with each book. The author has a spinoff book series coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, really? I still haven't gotten around to reading the original series. hehe One author at a time and I'm a slow reader. ^^; I'm currently reading Piers Anthony's first book of his Immortal Series - and then I'll be sampling his Adept series with the first book and after that going back to re-reading Xanth so I can finally get beyond the point I had last stopped reading.
    And beyond that, I just recently finished reading the latest book in the Anita Blake series. Guess that's a lot for a slow reader like me. hehe

    ReplyDelete